Welcome to Mortgage Refinance


Monday, May 21, 2007

Mortgage People, Set Yourself Apart!

How Do You Set Yourself Apart In The Mortgage Business?

I’ve determined that to be ahead of your competition in the mortgage business, you have to set yourself apart from your competition. But the challenge is, how does one get that accomplished?

There is a philosophy out in the world that says “know your weakness and strive to improve on it.” Although I do agree with this philosophy somewhat, I feel it can be a bit anti-productive. What I mean by this is if you’re constantly working on your weak spots, your strong spots may start to diminish just a tad.

The philosophy I’m more inclined to follow is one that may seem to be a bit unorthodox; One that people seem to over look quite a bit, but it’s an obvious one. Why not play to your strengths? What do I mean by this? Let me explain:

If you have had great success in cold calling, then by all means keep at it.

If you’ve have great success at telemarketing, then keep doing it!

Get it? Keep doing what you’re successfully doing.

Bottom line is, everyone has strengths at something. Wouldn’t it be wise to build on that strength instead of building on something that shows weakness? Oh sure, I’ll have people say “if you build on your weakness, you’ll have a well rounded business.” I’m sure there is a lot of truth to that statement, and if that’s your philosophy, then great!

Let’s break down a bit further what most Mortgage Professionals want to get done, shall we? What are most of us attempting to accomplish in this business? To close loans, right? What happens when you close more loan? You make more money! If you’re having success doing it one way, why not build on that success/strength?

Let’s look at it in another perspective: Here’s a sports analogy for you, Peyton Manning. What is Peyton’s strength? Generally speaking, it’s playing Quarterback for the Colts, right? I’m sure he could do it, but being a nose tackle isn’t something he seems to be working on a whole lot. Now, I haven’t seen Peyton’s check book, but I would assume he’s done very well working on being the best Quarterback he could be.

Do you understand what I’m getting at here?

Why not use that same philosophy in the mortgage world? If something is working for you, then build on that thing, embrace it, use it to your advantage. Heck, if you want to get really crazy with it, incorporate you weakness into your strength, that way you can keep your success rate up as you’re building on your strength, but that’s a whole other topic.